Coming to Terms with New York
Tonight was a lovely evening. My feelings about New York ebb and flow -- sometimes I love it and sometimes I, well, the opposite of love it. After 30 years of living in California, it's hard to adopt a "New York state of mind." I was quite happy with my California state of mind and find myself fighting this whole New York thing.
Nothing special happened tonight, but something about it was lovely. After a busy day at work, I walked down Hudson Street in the West Village to run an errand or two. The weather was perfect outside. Truly perfect. In San Francisco, I would come home and have to throw on a jacket before even considering leaving the house. In New York, the evenings are warm and you don't need a jacket! My neighborhood in San Francisco would turn into a foggy ghost town in the evening. Wednesday night at 10pm in New York is more happening than any Friday night in San Francisco. Am I bashing San Francisco? Absolutely not. I'm just trying to appreciate the differences. Instead of being irritated by people everywhere, I am trying to embrace them. Well, maybe not embrace them, but also not hate them. I need to learn to enjoy all of the hustle bustle because one day, I'm sure I'll miss it.
I have to admit that it's kind of fun to watch Sex and the City and actually know what they are talking about. It's cool seeing photoshoots on the streets outside my office. And yes, I actually like riding the subway.
I think this quote by Keren Ann sums it up: ""What I love about New York is exactly what I hate about it. Every corner, every sentence, every taxi, every subway is from a scene- either from a book, a movie or a song. For those who have lived during the end of the 20th century as a teenager- listened to the music and read everything the 20th century had to offer- New York is in there somewhere. There is a real intrigue. But at the same time, it can drive you mad- the noise all the time. It never stops."

1 Comments:
I'm coming to terms with Philly, too-- like the fact that it's weird! Philly is like a strange but initially benign-seeming street person, only every week she lifts her skirt a little higher and it's a little scarier. I need to come to New York.
Post a Comment
<< Home