Amazon.com sells books, music and the FUTURE!

Around 11am this morning, I got the most bizarro email from amazon.com.
Subject: [placeholder for winning team] Wins the NCAA Tournament
Huh? Placeholder for winning team? I've called UCLA a lot of names in my day, but never placeholder for winning team. It seems like someone up in Seattle was preparing his big post-tournament email mailing and hit send too soon.
It goes on to say, "Congratulations, [placeholder for winning team]! As someone who has purchased sports products from Amazon.com, we thought you should be the first to see our selection of NCAA championship products."
It's more like, "As someone who used to do online advertising FOR Amazon.com (when I was working at Leftfield), we thought you should be the first to see this premature email marketing."
According to this email, which was sent 10 hours before tip-off, UCLA wins. With 3:12 left in the first half, it doesn't look so good for the Bruins. Not only is the person who sent the email a lousy marketer, he also can't predict the future.
This isn't as bad as Dewey Defeats Truman, but I still found it quite hilarious.

1 Comments:
I got this one, too. I laughed at the person who must have felt miserable (or been fired) later that day. We all make mistakes. Only some of us can pull the trigger on email to thousands of consumer.
Post a Comment
<< Home